Thursday, July 20, 2006

The "Monthiversary..."

I now know (for a fact) that I am not the only one in the world who celebrates or acknowledges the "monthiversary." I did a search on google and it came up with 13,100, of which I would imagine more than half of those instances are contained in blogs. I wonder if people realize that monthiversary isn't even a word...(not to my surprise, but I looked it up on Merriam-Webster Online) It doesn't even show up on Wikipedia's site. Too funny. Yet, thousands of us continue to use this phrase throughout our lives. I actually did find an entry on Urban Dictionary.com, (a site that allows you to add your own words,) defining it as follows :

Monthiversary:

Similar to anniversary, but occuring every month. For people who are
overzealous about a new relationship.

MONTHIVERSARY
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Another thing that most people don't realize is that no one should even have to use the word "monthiversary." I'm sure most assume that it would be incorrect to use anniversary to represent something that reoccurs on a monthly basis, based on is etymology: (Middle English anniversarie, from Medieval Latin anniversarium, from Latin, neuter of anniversarius returning annually, from annus year + versus, past participle of vertere to turn.

But according to Merriam-Webster's definition of anniversary:

1 : the annual recurrence of a date marking a notable event; broadly : a date that follows such an event by a specified period of time measured in units other than years

How about that????

Well, I like the definition from the Urban Dictionary for the most part...less the "new" relationship part. When I was married to my ex-husband we acknowledged every monthiversary (from the time we met) until our separation...8 years later.

Personally, I think it's corny... But at the same time, I appreciate the value of the phrase. These days folks don't stay together very long, and every moment is precious. I simply love recognizing the time spent being in love.

Well the point of all this crap was to explain why I would make a mention of the fact that yesterday was my and Leonard's 1 year and 8 monthiversary. :) It's going to be 2 years before we know it! It honestly doesn't even seem like it's been that long. You know what they say, "Time files when you having fun!"

I geuninely am the happiest I've ever been in my adult life and I look forward to celebrating many many more turning of the months and the years with him...

1 comment:

dogfaeriex5 said...

what would we do without you there with camera always in hand?? you are the best.....

xoxox,~k